Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bombshell Review - IGIGI by Yulia Raquel

One of the most exciting movements I've seen in the plus size market is the recent availability of high quality, fashion-forward clothing in sizes 14+. We have lots of options for casual clothes and work-wear, but formal-wear is one area in which I think we've been under-served. IGIGI by Yulia Raquel is filling that void for quality cocktail dresses & formal dresses.

Yulia Raquel comments on her website that, when designing her clothes, she envisions her customer then "tries to determine if the clothes will make her more excited about where she is going." This resonates with me because Ive had lots of events to go to in my life (weddings, cocktail parties) where I've been excited about the evening ahead right up until I slipped into my outfit. And then suddenly I'm less excited because all I can focus on is the way a dress pulls or clings or hangs in a way that makes me self concious. If a designer is thinking about this before she creates a piece, I'm definitely interested in what that final product will be!



IGIGI by Yulia Raquel sent me the Audrey Cocktail Dress; and opening up the package was the first indication that the company is focused on detail and quality. The dress arrived on a hanger, with a cloth zippered garment bag.



The dress is lined, and made of a viscose/nylon/elastane blend that is heavy enough to drape the body without clinging. I love the notched detail at the bodice - it feels sexy, but ladylike.



And the cutout back is worth putting up my hair to show off. The dress is designed with a plus size woman in mind, from the roomy bust to the fact that the back ends above a standard bra line (no peek-a-boo bras here!). I ordered true to size and the dress fits me perfectly through the waist and hips. It's a little big in the bust, so if you're a C cup or smaller expect to alter it to fit your chest. If you're a D cup or larger, I think you'll find it fits just fine.

So the big question: Would I pay my own money for an IGIGI by Yulia Raquel dress? Yep, I would. The price point is higher than most of the clothes I usually buy, but the quality justifies the cost. I know I'll have this cocktail dress for many years to come, and I think I'll always feel excited about wearing it.

If you're excited about buying something from IGIGI by Yulia Raquel, let me help you out with making that purchase. IGIGI by Yulia Raquel wants to give one Bombshell Beauty reader a $50 gift certificate!

Enter for a chance to win by telling me which dress from the collection speaks to you - and tell me what it's saying. The Audrey said to me, "Oh, honey, I am exactly who you feel like on the inside. Let's make the outside match!"

One Bombshell will be chosen to win the prize on Feb 25th - so get your entries in!

35 comments:

  1. The Tres Chic Dress in Plum doesn't just speak, it SCREAMS!
    "Look! Look at my beautiful ruching that will make you look amazingly curvelicious! And look at my perfect hem length so that you can wear me to church, the board room and a wedding! And the details on my sleeve! Think of how comfortable and perfect I'll be under that black and white blazer you found! Buy me! Buy me nnnoooowwwwww!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cybelle Cocktail Dress in Orchid is telling me, "Let's go on a fancy date with your husband!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn between this Audrey (love the back detail) and the Nina origami dress. Audrey tells me I'm elegant, and the Nina tells me to come out and play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Jackie 2-in-1 dress, but I can't decide what color I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would pick the Cybelle Cocktail Dress in Royal. Such a gorgeous color, and a classic style. Also love the Audrey, wish it came in the royal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks FAB! Good picking!
    I've always been really impressed with the quality at Igigi, too. Definitely worth the extra dish to get a piece that fits well, looks good and lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sachi Printed Wrap Dress in Merlot says,"You might not be able to draw a stick figure, but you're creative and artistic in many other ways, and I just let the cat out of the bag!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the Sachi printed dress, especially in Merlot. It says "Solids have their place. But it's not here! Let's get our pattern on!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say that dress looks perfect on you, so, the Audrey is my fave!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I chose the Priscilla Wedding Dress, it says to me Wedding in Vegas. My husband and I are renewing our vows in May in Vegas and this would be the perfect dress.


    Tabitha Mackey
    tabithacarver@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, to me, the Francesca is saying "who says that a bigger mommy can't also be yummy? Ooh, la la!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Cybelle Cocktail Dress in Orchid. It says "I'm sophisticated, sexy and proud of my curves!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Cybelle Cocktail Dress in Orchid. It says 'I'm sophisticated, sexy and proud of my curves!'

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Love at First Sight dress says "hey let's work during the day, but at night we'll definitely play" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Carmella Lace Dress calls to me. It says, "I'm a classically elegant little black dress. You need me."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Belle of the Ball! It says, "Watch out skinny girl, 'cause I'm about to steal your boyfriend!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Francesca Dress In Black speaks to me and it's saying "Yes, lets go out and show off that romantic side and let them know what you're workin' with." :)

    lenikaye@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Audrey looks even better on you than on the model! I am dying that I didn't know about this site before I got married - what reasonable prices on wedding dresses!

    The Vilenna Dress is telling me, "I might not be as flashy as some of the others, but you'll want to wear me every day!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Vilenna Dress is telling me that it would be perfect to take for a weekend in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Sicilia dress!! It says to me lets go dancing. Hubby and I are taking ballroom dancing lessons and this dress would just swing around both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh, so hard to choose! I think the bardot pencil skirt says, "who said you can't go to work and feel like a bombshell?!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. The CEO Dress in Pinstripe says to me "I'll be your hot secretary for the day!" It also says, "I need to be in Jen's closet!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. im loving the "Boulangerie Wrap Dress in Merlot Grape" -- dress it up or down for a day at work or a night on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wore the Lucia Lace Gown to the Black & Pink gala at The Curvy Revolution and it was SO glamorous! It was delicate and feminine with the lace but sexy because of the high-cut front part of the gown that showed off my shapely legs! I felt like a movie star in this dress, I even posed on the pink carpet to show it off! I feel like I aspire to be both a glamorous and sexy plus size woman, and this dress made that extremely easy! It brought out the best of my personality, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What gorgeous dresses! The Belle of the ball dress doesn't scream or shout. It quietly and seductively leans over and whispers you know I'm hot :) Love it!

    -HH

    Hh.makeupaddict@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG! You look so freaking hot. I would want the exact same dress

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am absolutly loving the "Belle of the Ball Dress" it says "Va va voom!" to me. If I had this dress I could go out looking classy, elegeant and a little sexy. The lace screams "hottie!" but its still so classy and wholesome. This would be a killer dress to own!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am loving the Belle of the Ball dress. It says "Va va voom!" to me!!! I would feel so voluptuous and attractive wearing this. It is so sexy yet elegeant with the peeking lace. Its classy & stylish... LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the Love at First Sight Dress
    " You make me believe in love at first all over again'
    purple_lover_04 at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Entering the contest ! The Sachi dress in merlot is saying to me "Sasha if you wear me they will come " lol been watchin to much Kevin Costner LOL

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hands down, the Audrey. You totally rock it...and next time I have an occasion, I without a doubt will be purchasing that dress! I totally just fell in love. To me, the dress speaks volumes...."that skinny chick, nope... there's no damn way she (or anyone else) looks better than you in this!...now, where are my sexy matching heels!" and I'm pretty sure it'd make me feel so good I'd have no problem slipping it off after a night of building the suspense with my honey ! :) Such an amazing dress...and so happy to hear it fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That dress really suits you. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Gloria Dress in Bordeux! Not sure what it's saying other than "I can't get you out of my mind". Too bad I don't have the bust for it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Keira Lace Dress says to me, stop what you're doing in cold snowy February, and get the heck on Priceline and book your trip to New Orleans! I would love to be gallivanting around the French Quarter in that number!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)