Friday, January 14, 2011

One Dress, Two Looks

For as luxurious as it might be to have a closet packed full of pieces worn exclusively for either casual or dress-up events, that's just not me. For one thing, I don't have the closet space. And for another, I demand more out of my clothes - versatility is a must if you want to earn a spot on one of my hangers.

Here's a great example of finding ways to convert pieces that you might not consider workable for both day and evening. Both looks are built around a very saucy dress from City Chic.

The dress features a sexy plunging neckline and body concious curves - perfect for date night or a cocktail party.



But with a few simple swaps, this dress is a great day option for work. A long belted sweater covers up any extra cleavage and skin, effectively creating the illusion of a striped camisole and pencil skirt underneath. Red flats and a whimsical bangle bracelet add those extra casual touches needed to really sell the outfit.

6 comments:

  1. The love the dress! Two great looks! This is a great reminder for me. Normally, I would just wear this dress for a special evening out with its neckline. But as you show us, it can easily be converted for daytime/work. Good lesson for me! Thanks, Sara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the shoes..swoon..and that bangle with the lips, soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower and just adore your style! You inspire me! And so, I've given you a sweet award. Come to my blog and see what it is :)

    And thanks for this post in particular! I have a dress very similar to this one and haven't worn it (I bought it a year ago), because I couldn't figure out what to wear it with. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Miss Kim, for becoming a Bombshell follower and for the very sweet award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny for you to mention this. Last night I went to a wine pairing event and couldn't decide what to wear. I picked out a gray pencil skirt, black ankle boots and very body hugging plunged neckline gray dress shirt. I was a little self conscious that it was too much, so I took another look in my closet. And lo and behold the sweater I thought I would never wear worked PERFECT. I love how the smallest touches, an added necklace, a sweater, a certain eye shadow makes the whole outfit that much better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make a great point; sometimes you have to take a few extra minutes to make a great outfit! Hope the wine pairing party was fun!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive and is no longer accepting comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.