Monday, October 25, 2010

Turn Your LBD into 3 Halloween Costumes

There are a lot of really cute plus size Halloween costumes available at costume shops, but (call me old fashioned) I like to create my own costumes with pieces in my own closet. The past two years running I've created completely different costumes using my little black dress as the foundation. And I plan to use it again this year.

Two years ago, I paired my LBD with feathery wings, a halo and ethereal eye makeup to dress as an angel. Last year, I used the same dress to great effect with strands of pearls, oversize sunglasses, and a bouffant hairdo with a crystal necklace as a tiara to channel Audrey Hepburn a'la Breakfast at Tiffany's.



This year, I'll be going as a sexy Jessica Rabbit-inspired Little Red Riding Hood: black dress, ultra high heels, and a red cape. If you haven't decided on a costume yet, pull out your little black dress and get creative with extras found in your closet and at your local party shop.







Some of the accessories in these Polyvore sets are incredibly overpriced, so I'm certainly not suggesting you spend tons of money on them. They're simply illustrative of the types of accessories you could look for.

7 comments:

  1. That is brilliant. I didn't want to spend money on a costume and the plus size ones seem so stupid; they're either too sexy or look like a garbage bag. Now I gotta find me some angel wings and glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and you look so great in both costumes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I just can't decide what I should dress up as. I'm invited to a party and I'm just stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo ... I just noticed ... I'm alergic to wool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those costumes!! LBD's really are so versatile! (I have to say I like your version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, the zombies really add a new dimension to the film! ;) ). I have to say, last year we got our costumes at Torrid, and we were really pleased with them too, but my costume this year is a DIY job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great ideas! I love making my own costumes, but it's a lot harder when you're an adult. I did a sexy witch one year using this kind of inspiration. It turned out great until I drank too much and fell in a puddle of beer at the student bar association party. Classy!

    Anyway, I love your blog. Your style is extremely inspiring. I want to be you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing worse than falling in a puddle of beer, Diana Lee. And funnier. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.