Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dear Bombshell...

Hi Sara-
I've always thought belts on plus size girls was a total no-no. Just like tucking shirts in! But you wear belts a lot and so I was just wondering if there are any rules or advice to follow for wearing one.

Thanks! And you look so cute.
Kate P.


Hi Kate-
I thought the same thing you did for a long time - that I couldn't wear a belt without drawing attention to my stomach rolls and hips. Wrong! Belts create curves and add shapeliness to any body type!

The key is to find a belt that proportionally fits your body. I don't look my best in super skinny belts, and I tend to think many plus size women will find that to be true for them as well. I think of it like this: On my body, with my surface area, a belt has to be substantial enough to hold its own or its impact will be completely lost. This is, of course, not a hard and fast rule so be sure to try a skinny belt out for yourself.

I like the way a medium-width or wide belt look on my figure. When cinched right around my rib cage, which is the narrowest part of my torso, a belt defines my waist and makes me look more balanced. Belts are essential for a plus size woman who doesn't want to appear too boxy, or who wants to wear flowy tops & dresses.

If you're just starting a belt collection, I recommend buying a reversible leather version first. It's like two belts (black on one side, brown on the other) in one. Then branch out into various colors and textures - red, stretchy, metal, etc. Once you start buying belts, you'll be amazed at how easily they incorporate into your wardrobe!

You can find belts in sizes 14+ at most plus sized retailers these days, including Torrid, Lane Bryant, and Target. Here are a few of my favorites:

4 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    I was walking out of class yesterday and I saw a girl with THE CUTEST dress on. It was a shirt dress.. The front had a ruffled bib and it had a sash. I asked her where she got it, and she said lane bryant. I came home to look on their site.. not there.. any ideas where I could find something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie - The first place I thought of was Eliza Parker. She has a GREAT bib front dress that comes in three different colors:
    http://elizaparker.com/products/Bordeaux-Dress.html

    Calvin Klein has one that's not a bib front, but IS a shirt dress (which I adore): http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3107828?origin=category&resultback=0

    And two more options that are not exactly spot on but might be the feel you're going for, both from B and Lu:
    http://bandlu.com/product.asp?item=alecp

    http://bandlu.com/product.asp?item=briet

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been able to find any leopard printed plus belts? I loved the zebra one you wore in an earlier outfit.

    I love wearing belts and wear them every single day, and that's the one that's next on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post on belts! They really are an amazing tool to have in a wardrobe! And I'm definitely looking to add more to my own collection. :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive and is no longer accepting comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.