Monday, October 25, 2010

Beauty Stash - Macademia Healing Oil Treatment

The Moroccan Oil craze passed me by completely; I'm one of the few people in the fashion/beauty world who did not snap up bottle after bottle of the insanely popular argan oil blend known for making many hair types more manageable, frizz free, and stronger. I don't know why I never made a point to seek out this particular product but for whatever reason, I did not. So when I spied a small bottle of something called Macademia Healing Oil Treatment during an Ulta run, I figured it was better late than never that I give hair oil a try.

Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment is a blend of macadamia seed oil, argania kernel oil, and a couple unnatural smoothing ingredients like dimethicone. The oil smells musky and nutty, but not overpowering. It can be used several different ways: applied to dry hair as a finishing touch to your style; combed through wet hair before blow drying to increase smoothness and manageability; combined in the shower with an everyday condition to create a moisturizing hair treatment; and even applied to hair before a color treatment to make hair more responsive to absorbing the color.

I can't vouch for the hair oil's efficacy in enhancing a color treatment, but I did try all the other recommended uses for it. I really like this product. It makes my hair feel stronger and thicker, especially when I rub a pea-sized amount on the ends after styling. I did not like mixing the oil with my conditioner to create an ultra-moisturizing treatment. I experimented with different ratios of conditioner to oil and could never come up with a mixture that moisturized without leaving a greasy feel to my hair once it was dry.

One other con? There's no applicator included with the bottle I purchased (.34 oz for $6). So it takes a steady hand to pour out just the right amount of oil. I picked up a cheap little dropper from the pharmacy section of Target because I knew I'd eventually have a serious mishap resulting in Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment all over the bathroom.

So, I do like this oil for:
Combing a pea-sized amount through wet hair, pre-blow drying.
Rubbing a slightly less than pea-sized drop over the ends of my hair, post styling.

I do not like this oil for:
Mixing with conditioner to create a moisturizing treatment.

Have you tried both Moroccan Oil and Macadamia Oil? If so, which one did you like better. Should I give Moroccan oil a try?

6 comments:

  1. You need to try Morrocan Oil and the Morrocan Oil Mask. This stuff is amazing. In fact, I drove all around last night trying to find a salon that was open to buy more.

    You know that I am not one for fad products, but this stuff is great. I learned about it when trying to save my mom's hair from falling out after it was over processed. I bought her the whole line and it literally transformed and stopped her hair from breaking off.

    I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is more than highly recommending. :) I'll take your recommendation and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used Macadamia Oil, but I really like Moroccan Oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use plain coconut oil on my face, on my body, and a tiny bit on the ends of my hair. Some days I love it, some days it makes me break out. And I have a nut oil mask for my hair that I adore, but can't remember what the heckit's called. It's from Sephora...

    Looked it up. It's called Ojon. LOVE IT! http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P93511&categoryId=B70#moreInfo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I am glad you found the article useful. Be well.


    Aromacology Sensi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Your site is quite interesting and very well written. I am waiting for your next post

    macadamia nut oil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)