Monday, September 27, 2010

Perfect At Any Age

One of my favorite monthly features in Harper's Bazaar magazine is Fabulous at Any Age. It's a spread that details the current trends and relevant fashion notes by age group: 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60+. I love the way the magazine acknowledges that an interest in style doesn't stop once you turn 40, 50, etc. Plus, it's a great gauge for anyone who's afraid of dressing either too young or too old for her age.

This month, Harper's took this feature one step further to break down the myth that what's perfect for a 60 year old will look dated on a 20 year old; and that what a 20 year old wears could never be appropriate for a woman of a certain age. Here are two pages from the article, titled Ageless Style (pgs 354 and 355).




This is 1960's style icon (and former Mod Squad star) Paeggy Lipton, paired with up-and-comer Ashley Greene. Peggy is 64 and Ashley is 23 - yet neither looks out of place in their matching outfits.



The second page is of 66 year-old Jacqueline Bisset, renowned actress, with former Jonas Brother girlfriend Camilla Belle, aged 23. In their trenches, gloves and tights, Jacqueline looks like an extremely chic woman with a touch of femme fatale. Camilla pulls it off in a youthful, Uptown girl kind of way.

This is a great lesson that, mini skirts and glitter aside, the line between what's appropriate for younger women and older women may not be that far apart. Here are a few pieces that I can see hanging in the closets of women in their 20's, in their 60's and everything in between:


Pages scanned from October 2010 issue of Harper's Bazaar.

3 comments:

  1. The fashions are fine; I must say no to 4.5" heels.

    My old age criteria is mostly to cover upper arms, skirts to the bottom of the knee and no belt over a sweater because it makes me look shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fashions are fine; I must say no to 4.5" heels.

    My old age criteria is mostly to cover upper arms, skirts to the bottom of the knee and no belt over a sweater because it makes me look even shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Sure, sometimes you see women wearing clothing that just doesn't work because of their age, but this shows that so many styles are great no matter what the age. I remember many of the styles my mother used to wear when she was younger. I also love watching "Mad Men" to see the styles the women wore way back then.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive and is no longer accepting comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.