Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grown-up Hair Accessories

I can't tell you how many times I've envied a really cool-looking girl wearing the hell out of a fun hair accessory like any one of these:


You know the girl I'm talking about, right? Maybe you are this girl, equal parts quirky but cool - kind of a Zoe Deschanel type. Now I know Zoe Deschanel is my age (30). So it's certainly not a case of being too old to wear embellished hair accessories. It just...doesn't fit me. So how to satisfy my desire for girlish hair stuff without feeling completely unlike myself?

* Scale - a big dramatic bow might not work for me, but a small bow barrette pinned at the base of a bouncy ponytail is perfect.

* Instead of a headband embellished with feathers or crystals, I opt for toned down versions in accent colors like red, blue or leopard print.

* A touch of sparkle can go a long way. A sparkly bobbi pin pushed into a swoop across the forehead is enough to make me feel a little extra special.

Here are a few hair accessories that are fun but fit my everyday style.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post. I have been staying away from hair accessories because I thought they were too childish. But, this post is making me rethink some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hair accessories! I am 27 and also thought for a while that I was trying to look like the highschool and college kids, but then I realized that I don't care! I love the headbands with the little bows on top. And I recently bought 2 headbands with the huge flowers on them! One black and one pink! I love them and they make me feel cute! :) And I just want to say that I love reading all of your blog and facebook posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always avoiding hair accessories, but maybe I should try a headband soon. Other than that, I'd have to pass though. :)
    ~Sophia
    Fit&FabLiving

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 37 and I thought they wouldn't work for me but I tried some on in Forever 21 and I was smitten.

    The scale and style is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those floral embellished headbands! I wish I could make some of the cool craftier ones on etsy but, alas I am not that talented...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this! I have a gorgeous silver headband with feathers and crystals that I love but wasn't sure if I bought it just to look at it, or to wear it...because I was too scared! Now I realized that I don't care, I love it and I will wear it with pride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting read. I love hair accessories, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make them work for me, so its good to see other ideas. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your blog =)
    please follow mine if you want at

    http://jenniferscavone.blogspot.com

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to use a cute bobby pin in my hair tomorrow because I want to feel extra pretty. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.