Thursday, July 22, 2010

Beauty Moment - Nicole Fae Airbrush Tan

It's hard to believe that less than 24 hours ago, I shared the same skintone with Snow White. Last night, I received an invitation from makeup artist Nicole Fae to come over to her studio for an airbrush tanning session.* So I popped over to her suite in downtown St. Paul's historic Northwestern Building for my first airbrush tanning experience.

I'll admit that I said "Yes" before really thinking through a couple things.

1.) I could have, potentially, been turned the same color as an Oompa Loompa or Lindsay Lohan.

2.) I would be getting naked in front of a stranger.

So I spent 20 minutes researching methods for removing or quickly fading fake-tan products. And I spent another 20 minutes telling myself that I'm sure Nicole has seen plenty of bodies like mine and to chill the heck out.

Happily...I do not look like an Oompa Loompa. And Nicole is a total pro about the whole naked thing and made me feel extremely comfortable. I actually forgot that I wasn't clothed because she's one of those people who is instantly friendly and engaging.

Check out my before picture:



And after:



I love it! While I love my fair skin, too, I think I look really healthy and vibrant with a tan. And this is the way to go; no way am I sitting out in the sun to get a little color. And I'm way too lazy to bother with self tanners at home. I stipped down to my panties, stood in a portable tanning hood, then chatted with Nicole while she sprayed me. The tanning product dried on contact. And I was really surprised to discover that it had no gross scent. The entire process took about 15 minutes, from start to finish.

Nicole specializes in creating the perfect color for any skintone. From the fairest of the fair (she just got a new product in for redheads, who have a really specific undertone), to women of color (who can get a gorgeous mahogany glow that combats ashiness); Nicole knows how to get the perfect blend of coverage and color. She gave me a few tips for how to keep my color looking fresh and pretty for 7-10 days:

* Don't shower for at least 8 hours, post tan
* Avoid exfoliating the skin
* Be diligent about slathering body lotion all over
* Every 2 or 3 days, boost the color with a lotion like Jergens Natural Glow

Go to Nicole Fae's website for more details on her entire range of services, and to learn more about the tanning products she uses. Nicole offers a client's first airbrush tan for just $25; regular priced sessions are $40. She can even come to your home to tan you there - I think it would be fun to get a bunch of girls together to have a tanning party at the end of the summer. The cost per person goes down to about $32 for parties of 10.

I'll definitely do this again and, though this session was complimentary, I'll have no problem spending my own $40 to have Nicole work her magic on me!

8 comments:

  1. You look great, not that you didnt before LOL but I love how it made you look!! I have thought about doing one here where I am but I freaked out. Thank you for sharing your experience....i might have to go and try it now! BTW I loved the poka dot bathing suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! I think you should give it a try - I'm so impressed with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny! I'm busy exfoliating my skin right now for a spray tan session tomorrow. You look great! Isn't it wonderful to live in these times when alabaster ladies such as we can "tan" without all the harmful UV rays?Hopefully my "tanner" will have the same specialized training for different skin tones! I don't want to get too tanned as it won't go well with my skin tone. I just want to even up my color...my arms are much darker than my legs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that gorgeous "natural" glow! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The change is pretty great! You look totally sunkissed and not at all like Lindsy Lohan (orange).

    Chandra
    www.momomod.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That swimsuit looks great on you. I love the color and polka dots are so fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I find your blog tonight and was surprised to see a fellow MSP'er! I have a trip to Florida next month and I think I just might have to contact Nicole to bronze me up!

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Allison - looking forward to checking out your blog too. MN-bloggers gotta stick together. :) And seriously, give Nicole a call. I loved my tan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.