Thursday, April 15, 2010

Running Errands Outfit

In preparation for my friend's big wedding this weekend, I have a list of things to do a mile long before Dan gets home from work and we jump in the car for a quick trip down to Southern MN. It's a pretty exciting list:

* Pack the car (ok, more like stow the bags in the back of the car but 'pack the car' sounds better)
* Pick up two gift cards and three gift card holders
* Drop off some stuff at Goodwill (to make room for those bags that need to be stowed)
* Touch up mani/pedi

Followed by the entire shower routine - the extended version that includes washing of hair, shaving of legs, etc - followed by serious primping. Because getting ready for a weekend of events is half the fun. What is not fun? Figuring out what to throw on to run those mundane errands, pre-shower and primping.

I don't want to get full-on dressed. I want sweatpants, but not sweatpants. Because I, for one, am tired of seeing all the wonderful women in the world running around Target or Hallmark wearing gym clothing/pajamas. Yes, I'm judgy like that. So what to wear?

Something ballet-inspired is always comfortable and usually looks more pulled together than shlubby sweats. And if someone happens to see me and think I just came from the ballet studio, all the better. (Yeah, that's unlikely). The key to pulling off a polished casual look is to make sure each piece fits well. Avoid anything oversized - flowey is fine, oversized is not. And even flowy pieces should have some shape to them. Light layers that move with your body are very flattering. Here are a few of my favorite ballet-inspired pieces:









The clothes & photo credits:
Tie-front Bellini top from Kiyonna
Lace trim cami from Old Navy
Comfy yoga pant from Torrid
Teva Koral Leather skimmers

2 comments:

  1. I just bought a pair of Merrell shoes that are similar though backless..They're so comfy and look a little more polished than sneakers..

    I am one of those girls who runs errands after I hit the gym so I'm sweaty in my cute sweats, but now I'll have to think on that a bit. I like the polished look more - obviously..

    You have no idea how much you shape the way I think of myself in clothes. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've actually been to the gym, that's a whole other thing - post workout sweats are perfectly reasonable!

    I just feel sad about women who wear sweats all the time, minus the workout. Makes me think they don't care enough about themselves, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.