Monday, April 26, 2010

Prints, Prints, Everywhere!

While out (window) shopping this weekend, I was confronted by prints everywhere I turned: at Macy's, in Lane Bryant, TJ Max. I like prints to a certain extent; though I think I prefer texture and accessories to prints. Especially the wildly tropical or ikat-inspired versions that are on tops, tunics and dresses right now. It's a lot of look and one that I actually think plus size shapes pull of better than more petite women - for the simple reason that a lot of print can overwhelm small frames. Not an issue for those of us with more surface area to dress!

I think my personal challenge with an outfit grounded in a major print is that so often the overall look lacks a focal point. Anchoring a print with a solid belt, blazer or cardigan can make all the difference between visual overload and an on-point interpretation of this trend. For example:



This peacock-inspired sweetheart neckline top is a beautiful swirl of color. But I'm losing track of the model's shape - there's little definition to her curves. But cinch a wide belt around the smallest part of her torso (often, just under the bust), and suddenly it's plain to tell that she's got hips and a bosom. The same effect can be created with a fitted jacket or well-shaped cardigan:





Anne Klein belted linen jacket, Torrid triangle buckle stretch belt.

How do you feel about the print trend - yay or nay?

Photo credit: Macys.com; Torrid.com

5 comments:

  1. The print trend can be dangerous territory. A lot of tops look so much like 'plus sized clothes'. I like your recommendation of breaking up the print with a belt or something. I tend to usually stick to prints on dresses or skirts. I do have a couple of printed tops that I really like though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont like prints, i prefer texture on pieces like waffle weave or ribbing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great belt! I enjoyed your blog :) and will be back!

    I would love for you to check out my curvy blog :)

    xxx Anika
    sweetfacedstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a solids kind of a girl, but a friend gave me a bunch of print dresses to wear this Spring... I gotta admit. I feel really different when I wear them! I always wear a cardi at work, because of the air conditioning but prints are definitely a nice change from the Garanimals that I usually wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love prints, but that first top with the wrinkle silkscreen print will look VERY dated in 2 years. Not to mention that I've tried on some of that style where the print void is in spots where it highlights my less charming features (like heavy arms).

    I often tone down a print with a jacket or sweater if I want a more conservative look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)