Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring-ify Your Hair

My hair has split personalities. From October-late March, it's straight and silky. It's predictable and easy to manage. I wash it every two or three days, deep condition once a week, and tame it as needed with a flat iron. Come April, the alternate personality comes out, urged on by spring rain showers, fluctuations in humidity and rising temperatures. "Alternate Hair" is, at various times, curly/wavy/fluffy. I still go a couple of days between washing but replace the weekly deep conditioning with a daily UV Spray that contains an SPF (to protect my hair color now that the sun is finally out - and so am I) and leave-in conditioner. Attempting to coax as much curl out of it as possible, I dry my hair with a diffuser. Daily touch-ups with a curling iron are essential.

To prepare for the sudden shift in hair style and texture, I'm going to spend the next few weeks getting my hair ready. After a fresh cut and color, I'll be alternating these products: I reach for L'Oreal EverPure Moisture Deep Restorative Masque every few days to keep my hair conditioned and the color rich and true. It helps combat the dry frizzies that crop up from split ends and general environmental wear-and-tear. Women with dry, coarse hair will seriously dig this conditioner; my curls enjoy the added moisture and tend to be on their best behavior for a couple of days after using it. And the scent of rosemary mint is decadent and spa-like. (Can you tell I like this stuff? Yeah.) I've written about Bain de Terre's Sugar and Fig Scalp Massage Scrub before - it's seriously, my year-round go-to hair fixer uppper. Your scalp is skin, so it makes sense that it looks and feels better after a little exfoliation. The foundation of your hair is the scalp, so if your scalp is in good shape your hair will look good too. For best results, get your hair wet and squeeze half the tube of scrub into onto your fingertips. Massage your fingers all over your scalp. Once the scrub begins to work through your hair and onto the scalp, squirt the rest of the product onto your fingers and continue massaging. It smells like heaven, feels ahhhhmazing - you'll wonder how you lived without this stuff. Fighting the frizzies can be a full-time job. For every woman on the planet with unruly hair, there's a hair serum that promises smooth, silky hair. And those serums? Can cost a lot. I trust good my frizz to good old John Frieda. Frieda products can be found at almost any drugstore or discount store for cheap. While the original Frizz Ease serum is great, I like the Frizz Ease Thermal Protection Serum. The formula protects hair from heat styling and UV rays, while also making hair of all types more mangeable.

If you're looking for some new ideas on how to style your hair, or need a little inspiration for a new cut or color, check out Misikko's collection of articles and how-to videos. It's one of my new favorite web distractions.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to try that everpure hair masque. I already use the shampoo since I had the bio ionic straightening done on my hair, but a masque never hurts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from making my hair look and feel better, I love to relax with a good masque. Makes me fee like I'm actually at the spa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that bain de terre scrub -- sounds intriguing! have you tried any of the garnier fructis wonder waves products? I have had good luck with the spray-in wave enhancer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)